Saturday, March 14, 2015

Just Getting (It) Out

After some debate with myself over a sinkful of dishes, I decided to write this post and let the chips fall where they may. I will accept the consequences of my actions.

There have been several posts on facebook throughout the years where folks put on their high-and-mighty panties and stomp about, waving Old Glory and shouting things like, “If you love America, then thank God or get out” or “If you can read this, thank a Veteran or get out,” or, “If you don’t salute the flag, then get out.”

Fine. I’m out. Out as in I’m coming out of the non-flag-saluting closet. I’m getting it out of my system and off my chest.

Because I work in a public school, the class is expected to stand and salute the flag every morning. It’s the American thing to do, and I’m ok with that. You can shout the pledge to the skies, and I will support your right to do so but, while I may stand with my hand on my heart, I’m not saying the same words.
                  
I believe America was once a great place, filled with wonderful people and amazing opportunities, and technically, it still is. But instead of having the people in charge, greedy corporations have taken over and this land of the free is becoming less free and more oppressed. We are becoming less educated because we cannot afford higher education. Public education is being destroyed by standardized tests created by people who don’t know the first thing about how kids learn in a typical classroom. We are becoming chronically sick because we cannot afford health insurance, healthy foods or the medication to treat illness or maintain good health. We stick our political nose into everyone else’s business and send our war machines to make sure they do things OUR way because we’re so right about everything.

Yes, there is a lot to be thankful for in America, and I’m thankful for a great deal, but do not shove your opinions in my face and tell me if I don’t agree with you, I should leave.

Maybe it’s time for YOU leave. And take your greedy corporations with you. Perhaps those of us left behind can do something to restore this country and heal this land. America has been trashed with McMansions, muscle cars, and money, and then if that wasn’t enough God gets dragged into the mess and that’s supposed to make it right.

Love God or get out.

I’m just curious to know what your God would say when you tell him you kicked your fellow citizens to the curb because they had different feelings about things than you do.

Love America or get out.

Yeah, yeah, I’m still here. I’m still a citizen, and I don’t plan on changing that any time soon. But I still won’t pledge allegiance to the flag, because my allegiance isn’t with politics or religion, it’s with the land and the people trying to keep it from being totally lost under asphalt and hyperbole.

I pledge allegiance to this land
Of the United States of America,
And to the people who dwell within.
As one nation,
Let us stand,

For liberty and justice for all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you. :)