Saturday, November 15, 2014

Breathing New Life

It started with a facebook post from a dear friend who had been absent for a while. Selma, of Selma and the City fame, came back to say "howdy" then Heather from the now defunct but still memorably groovy I'm Not Hannah, said, "we should get back to blogging."

Because I am a fan of both these gals, I jumped on the bandwagon and said, "Me too! Me too! Can I play too?"

Lucky for me, they said yes.

After doing a lot of thinking, I decided to keep two of my three blogs. My author blog will probably go away because it's easier to tackle that type of updating on Facebook. I'm not 100% on board with that idea yet, so it is still there, waiting for something to happen.

But the other blog, A Novel Place (and if I could remember how to insert the address as a link in here, I would, so I'll try that on editing. Plus, I've forgotten the URL, so... yeah...) Anyway, that blog will be my fiction link and if we're REALLY lucky, Selma will start posting her fiction there as well. I'd really REALLY like to start the weekly writing prompts again because those made for some amazing stories from all over the place.

This blog, Life in the Dyke Lane, will remain as my daily life, ponderings, and brain drivel blog. I like brain drivel, it keeps me sane.

I miss blogging. Facebook has destroyed that medium (at least in my humble opinion) but, while you can post long "notes" on facebook, it's just not the same as a blog. A blog is a room in a very large house. It's a quiet room, dedicated to one person and they get to say what they want. Others can chime in via the comments, but it's pretty orderly and calm.

FACEBOOK, ON THE OTHER HAND, IS A HUGE BALLROOM JAMMED WITH PEOPLE AND THEY ALL WANT YOUR ATTENTION BECAUSE THEY HAVE SOMETHING INTERESTING TO SHOW YOU. LOOK! CAT PHOTOS! IT'S KIND OF NOISY AND VERY DIFFICULT TO THINK IN THAT ENVIRONMENT. IT'S A PARTY. NOT MANY PEOPLE GO TO PARTIES TO DO A LOT OF TALKING AND LISTENING. THEY GO TO EAT, DANCE, MAYBE GET LAID, TELL SOME JOKES (MOSTLY ABOUT GETTING LAID) AND SHOW INTERESTING PHOTOGRAPHS SOMEONE ELSE TOOK.

I will admit, Facebook can be fun. It takes up a great deal of time, because there are so many people there, but it is rarely dull. Occasionally inflammatory and emotionally painful, but not dull.

So, in the coming weeks (especially after NaNoWriMo is done in December), I'll be bringing you some posts about my life. I'll tell you about my burglar, the hat shop, my parents, the nephew, and even bring you up to speed on my offspring (holy lard, there's a lot going on with those three).

I miss you all. I miss the blog. I miss the blogosphere and I really hope we can bring it back, because it was so awesome. Maybe it's still out there, but commercialized so they don't really look like blogs as much as ads for department stores or what-have-you. I'd love to earn my living blogging, but there is a divine purity in the "old way" and right now, that's what I miss. Maybe, if I become a famous author, I'll have a commercialized blog, but... I'll still sneak something in of the old school style.

So I'm going to limit my time on facebook, and start prowling around for something more worthy of my time. Like your blogs. :)

K-

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you. :)