Saturday, July 7, 2012

Road Trippin’



Ok my darlings, it’s that special time of year again when we load up the car and drive straight to hell. Also known as going to visit my parents.

We’re taking Most Minor Minion with us while Beans holds down the fort. This will be his first time house/critter sitting for us, so it should be interesting. He even offered to clean out our fridge. I’m not sure what the motive is behind that, but I wish him the best of luck. It’s been a while since anyone’s seen the back wall of the lighted compost bin, so I’m not sure what he might find. Hopefully it will be slow-moving and easily caught.

The pre-trip jitters/cranky stuff has hit both of us and I’m so thrilled. She’s in the kitchen ranting and crashing about over some lost peppercorns and I’m having a difficult time not getting distracted from what I’m supposed to be doing, which is packing and not writing a blog post about going on a trip. I’m also supposed to be doing laundry, which might be happening right now, but I’m not 100% sure I remembered to start the machine. My camera and computer, however, are ready to go.

As usual, I’ve over packed. It’s so strange: I can go to Ireland or Germany for two weeks and survive just fine with a small carry-on size bag. Two weeks. Far from home. We’re heading to my parents house, for one week, and my HUGE suitcase is bulging at the seams, and that doesn’t include the computer, the cameras, the chargers for all the electronic gee-gaws, my nook… Thankfully I don’t use the CPAP any more, because that was just one more bag to tote around.

I always say I’m not going to over pack the next time, but I always do. There’s the computer (I get to do some editing) the big camera because I’ve not taken it out for a while and I miss it, and the books or stitching projects we take along to while away the hot part of the day when some folks are sleeping and others can’t close their eyes in the heat.

And it is going to be hot (somewhere in the 90’s) which is about 20 degrees hotter than we’ve had it here, but it’s drier so that helps some. I guess. It’s one of the few times my dear Tam does not have cold feet that she must warm on my body. Still, hot is hot, and cold feet don’t bother me that much. And it’s only for a week. And my mother seems to be in a good mood, despite the fact that she just called me to tell me their septic system has died and this should get even more interesting as the week progresses. We cannot change our departure date because everything here has been set in stone; from house and critter sitter, to Li’l Red’s time with is dad. We might end up in a hotel. I didn’t pack for a hotel. Damn.

It will be fun, and I’m hoping that I’ll be able to get online while we’re down there via our new phones. It will be a first.

Wish us luck, I think we’re going to need it.

1 comment:

  1. I know you'll have fun. I would love to go on a road trip with you. It would be a blast. Enjoy yourselves xxxx

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. :)