Sunday, February 27, 2011

Big Girl Weekend.

I had to be a big girl this past weekend, and you know what? I did it. I hated most of it, but I did it. Don’t count on it happening again any time soon, at least not with my blessing.

Schedules got mixed up and for some reason, I thought it wouldn’t bother me all that much, but it did. Not sure why, but it did. Tam went to the beach without me and I have to be honest, it really bothered me.

She loves the beach, and I will admit, I like being there too. But I also must admit to being more of a Mountains kind of gal. I’ve needed to reconnect with my beloved high country for quite some time, but we usually end up at the beach because we have a place to stay there.

However, things happened at the cabin that required some attention. There was a lengthy power outage at some point, which caused the things in the freezer to become sad and drippy. Then there was the cupboard filled with things from early this century. It’s a cabin, and things tend to hang out a long time, a lot longer than any of the visitors, unfortunately, which is why we were not too surprised to find things with long-gone expiration dates.

So, Tam headed out to the beach without me, to do some cleaning and relaxing.

And I stayed back and pouted. And sulked. And moped. It was really hard when I was driving out to pick up worm medicine for the dog, and got a face full of the most amazing mountains the area has to offer. The day was perfectly clear, and the recent snowfall made those peaks stand out and beg me to just keep moving east.

But I didn’t. I had things I needed to do, and a road trip was not part of those things. Major sadface. Not only did I have to survive the weekend without Tam, but I had to ignore the siren song of clear skies and pristine mountains.

It was like adding insult to injury.

It wasn’t a total loss of a weekend, after all, I got to have a lovely visit with a writer friend, and later, an evening of television and pizza with my boy. Plus I spent some time playing with paper; making note cards. I’ve not done that in a while, and I find it a little more soothing than the cross-stitch project that has been hanging over my head for the past several months.

That cross stitch project? It’s made by a well-known company, so you’d think it wouldn’t be so…frustrating. But I suspect this particular project was created to be some kind of practical joke put out by this company. The floss was included, but not labeled, so when two of the colors proved to be identical, it nearly pushed me over the edge.

Not only that, but the damn pattern is so crazy, there is no logical method of completing it without wasting a lot of floss. It. Makes. Me. CRAZY!

Which is why I decided to work with paper, because the last thing I needed to do was get even more warped out of shape, this weekend, than I already was.

But now there is even more potential change in the wind. Tam and I have a decision to make, an expensive, life-changing decision, and it’s going to take more than a weekend to sort through the whole thing.

Next weekend… oh, next weekend will have to be better than this one, or I’m going to flip the hell out.

Or head to the mountains.

2 comments:

  1. I choose the beach over the mountains hands down. Sorry you had a shitty weekend. I think it's sweet that you miss Tam so much when she goes away. I'm usually kicking my husband out the door so hard he chokes on the sole of my foot : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laughing at Dark Mother's comment re. her husband. I hear ya. LOL.

    I don't think I could decide between the mountains and the beach as I love them both but I would probably go for the mountains - it's the big skies that get me.

    It is so nice that you miss Tam so much - makes me feel all gooey inside.

    Best wishes for your big decision. Keeping everything crossed for you!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. :)