Thursday, May 7, 2020

Yard Work

Today I was planning on getting some writing done for the blogs and the manuscript, which is why I grabbed the weed whacker and laid waste to a bunch of vegetation that didn't need to be growing right there!

During my attack on nature, I managed to whack some blackberry vines and slugs and shit. Pretty much in that order, too. The blackberry vines made my poor little machine stutter and launch a full attack on my pants legs by slinging said vine piece right at me. There was swearing.

It did the same with the slug. And the shit. I was not amused. Most of the slug sort of bounced off my leg, but the string vaporized the pile of poo and left a lovely line of fragrance just below knee level.

I cannot begin to tell you how thankful I am that a) I was wearing long pants, and b) that it didn't get higher than my knees. Also, it was a small pile (probably Chihuahua in origin). I would have been in trouble if I'd hit a mound of bear scat. Seriously, those bruins have left some big piles in our yard.

Yeah, welcome to the coast! Beautiful sunsets (when it isn't raining), lots of fresh air (usually forced into your lungs by high velocity winds), and wildlife galore (most of which will get into your yard and eat all the green beans you planted, or snack on the neighbor's garbage in your driveway).

Good times!

Tomorrow will probably involve more whacking, as the elusive muse insists I get out and do something constructive that doesn't involve me sitting at the computer begging, pleading, and crying for some inspiration. Of course, it might not be my muse insisting I do the yard work, it could be my sweetie, or the cats. Sometimes it's difficult to tell them apart.

There was also an incident with the lawnmower that I'd rather not experience again. It involved a couple of snails and many thanks for that protective dohicky that comes down when you're not using a grass catcher, because those shells would have stung a bit. Also, the noise... Then there was the large hole left in the yard by my darling when she was doing some planting of things and needed some soil. I damn near disappeared up to my armpits while covered in slug snot and dog shit.

Our weather today was spectacular, totally blue sky, without a cloud in sight and it got up to 80 on the front deck! For the Washington coast in May, that's saying something. Someone mentioned that sunlight kills the virus and I pondered hanging out on the deck in my all-together for some pro-active virus killing. Ooh! There's that thing where folks were sunning their, um, nether regions for an infusion of something-something-the neighbors already think I'm nutso. Tammie let me know she would prefer I not do that, as it would probably confuse her mother (who is living with us and brought her dementia with her, so confusion is the current situation at our house).

Still... if it works...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you. :)